Sunday, December 03, 2006

The Mighty Mississipp'


Every once in a while, I have to drive through the South to meet up with my rock n' roll partner and friend Roger, and I just made the drive again this weekend. I drive from Dallas to Meridian, Mississippi. The most thrilling part of the trip is coming in from Louisiana on I20 and crossing the Mississippi River into Mississippi. It's a grand entrance, as you cross a majestic steel bridge over the mother of all rivers. I have the distinct feeling I'm suddenly in the South, the real South. Hard to describe the feeling exactly, but it's a thrilling experience. Unless you live near the Mississippi River, there's hardly an American living anywhere else who knows what a river can be. THIS is a river, a force of nature with all this power and history, just in its presence.

No comments: